Saturday 24 December 2011

You Can't Handle the Stupid: Mangled Poetry (Merry Christmas!)

loosely based upon (stolen from) Clement Clarke Moore's "Twas the Night Before Christmas".

'Twas the night before Christmas, in the depths of the house
A strange creature was stealing the plump christmas grouse.
The fat bird was thrust in a sack with care,
In the hope that it wouldn't be noticed in there.

The creature then opened the sweet-storing sheds,
Tossing boxes of chocolates into the threads.
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Heard not a whisper, in our long winter’s nap.

When below in the house there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Out through the door I flew like a flash,
I ran down the steps, only to fall with a crash.

For you see, the creature, for fear of the snow
Had been trying to steal our snow-plow below.
When no way to open the garage would appear,
The creature knocked it over--using eight tiny reindeer!

Taken from a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St Nick.
More rapid than eagles his curses they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
Stop, Comet! Stop, Cupid! Stop, Donner and Blitzen!
Help not that stranger topple the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

As the creature snapped reins, and urged them to fly,
The reindeer paid no attention to the guy.
So on to the garage door, the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of Toys, and poor St Nicholas too.

And then, of a sudden, came a sound cold and aloof
The pounding and stepping of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the garage came, with an awful loud sound.

And there was St. Nick, from his head to his foot,
Covered by a layer of ashes and soot.
A bundle of Toys he had flung on his back,
Was so shredded and broken it looked not like a sack.

His eyes--how they flamed! his fury: hail-mary!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn tight like a bow,
And the beard, under soot, was as white as the snow.

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke, it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook as he swore, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right furious old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word to me, but went straight to his work,
And gave the creature to know, he was a right-nasty jerk.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
Up the chimney, the creature rose!

He shrieked and clawed, but with a low, dejected whistle,
Away the monster flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, 'ere he drove out of sight,
"Crappy Christmas to all, and to all a good-fright!"

No comments:

Post a Comment