Monday 7 November 2011

A Bust of Nelson Rockefeller: Live Train Misinformation


When they announced that we would be receiving live train information on those stupid little screens they put up in the train stations, I was thrilled. "Finally," I thought. "We'll actually have a freaking idea what's going on down the line."
What I thought (foolishly, I know) was that the screens would put up a live stream (of sorts) consisting of information of what was going on with the trains.  Like, you know, let us know about delays and stuff.  "Delay between City Hall and 1st Street~5mins" or something like that.  That's the logical conclusion when something says "Live train information" is it not?
Apparently not.
What we got instead, though, was a list of the next 3 trains and when (tentatively) they would arrive.  "Well," I thought. "At least I'll have an idea of when to storm off in disgust."
Apparently not.
No, instead what we have is when the train should arrive.  Not when (and whereabouts) it would.  It doesn't help, I maintain, when you tell me that the next train will arrive in 2 minutes... for 10 minutes.  You'd think updating it to 12 minutes would be more intelligent.
Apparently not.
There's also the small matter of inaccuracies.  This morning, it said that the next train would be there in 2 minutes (as stated above), that the following would come in 5... and that the one after that would also come in 5.  Last I checked, a station can only support 1 train at a time going in the same direction.
Apparently.  Not.
Of course, I maybe should have suspected that something stupid would happen with this, given CT's record with... well, list any complaint about them here.  I mean, they said this live train info would come in August, but it didn't actually appear (as far as I know) until mid October.  And that wasn't even during prime hours.

Ah me.  Why can't my city have a decent transit system?

No comments:

Post a Comment